Saturday, November 13, 2010

Movie Review : R.E.D.

R.E.D is another action comedy movie that is loosely adapted from a comic book series. The main character is Frank Moses (played by Bruce Willis), a former CIA agent who is now retired and live a lonely life in the suburbia. The only companion he has is his pension agent, Sarah (played by Mary Louise Parker). They chat a lot over the phone, but they never met each other in person. One day, a team of hit squads comes to his house and tried to kill him. So, after he killed them, he protected Sarah by kidnapping her and forcing her to go with him to find his old mates (Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, and Helen Mirren). Together they found out who is after them, boom boom boom, and in the end they get their revenge. 

In the movie, R.E.D stands for Retired and Extremely Dangerous. Well, perhaps they got the color wrong, because to me, it's more like B.L.U.E = Boring, Lame and Uninteresting Elderly (people). The fact that I can think of that abbreviation WHILE watching the movie says everything. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against old people, but I just don't think that they should star in action movies anymore. Another excellent example : The Expendables.

To me, Mary Louise Parker gave a good comical performance in this movie. Bruce Willis is also always great being a tough guy. However, the movie was brought down by boring, predictable plots, unbelievable action scenes (is it really THAT easy to break into the CIA office??), and the general slowness of the conversations. Helen Mirren was OK, but I'll take my Hit Girl over her character anytime, thank you very much. Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich was just cuckoo, and I never really liked them anyway.

So, my advice is to skip this movie and save your money to buy popcorn next week when watching Harry Potter :)


No comments:

Post a Comment