Sunday, May 2, 2010

Movie Review : Valentine's Day


I know it seems like I'm in a movie marathon weekend, but it's nothing like that. This morning I just woke up too early and didn't know what to do, so I decided to watch Valentine's Day the movie, which I missed when it was showing in the cinema.

The concept of the movie is like Love Actually, where it follows a bunch of people in L.A on Valentine's Day, each have a storyline relating to L.O.V.E. All the big names are there, such as Julia Roberts, Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Alba, Bradley Cooper etc etc. Hey, even Taylor Swift makes her acting debut in this movie (Taylor girl, you should stick to singing, yeah? Please give up acting :P). 

With all the big names in there, people would have big expectations about the movie. So am I. However, I am so glad that I didn't waste $10 (and 2 hours) watching this movie in the cinema. The storyline is very predictable, the characters are weird, lots of unnecessary scenes not relating to anything, and the timeline is absolutely absurd (Jennifer Garner's character is able to drop by a flower shop in the morning, teach elementary school, fly to San Fransisco, go to the hospital to find out that her boyfriend is a lying pig, fly back to L.A, serve dinner, go to a party, and find true love, ALL IN ONE DAY!).

The only notable acting that I like is Anne Hathaway, who played a phone sex operator. She is just talented with words :)

Overall, I give it 2 out of 5. Totally not worth watching in the cinema, and also not worth the DVD.

And for the record, I do not give this movie a bad review because I am single, lonely, and miserable. A good movie needs to have a good script to begin with. Superstars doesn't equate good movie. It does, however, guarantee you at least one weekend as #1 box office. But it goes down quickly after that. 

So, for all of you suckers who still believe in love.... well, good for you. But I still prefer watching Kick-Ass anytime of the year :P

No comments:

Post a Comment